- The Saraa of the Shadowlands speak the strange Saraanic tongue.
- The Eerith have no spoken language as such, though they communicate in
almost any form
- Vraai, an elvish tongue spoken by the Vraa'al, is based on long drawn-out
words, almost like whispering, or like the wind blowing through leaves. Humans find it
hypnoticly beautiful, but also a little disturbing.
- The Ban Horroth have their own peculiar language.
Map of Language Families on Qaiyore
Those languages spoken by the peoples of the northern rainforests and
islands, including the language(s) of the Tora.
Eastern Desert Languages
The home of this language group is the lost continent of Avaerand. All
languages are derived from Ancient Avaerandian (a language still spoken by the ruling
caste of Bel'Adne). The Elyria site has a dictionary of Avaeran,
the language as spoken by the Avaerandians who colonised that continent. The Qaiyorean
Avaerans split into four geographically distinct groups:
- Great Lake Branch - spoken in the area around the inland sea to the north of the
Calarnar desert, consisting of the three Beladine dialects, the common tongue of the
- Northeast Plains Branch - the dialects of the Kelshir coast and the region between the
Kelshir and Kivirian mountains
- River Valley Branch - the modern
descendants of Avaerean [as opposed to Avaeran , its' parent] (the language spoken by the
people of Ancient Avaerea - the land now called Milakanur), including Ibalan (on Celpalar)
, Ancient Avaerean (the 'tongue of the ancients' used by Midsea scholars), Trade Talk
& Alorathaean (in Aixelsydan and the surrounding area).
- Therani Branch - dialects spoken in the northwestern Midsea area, including the language
Western Desert Languages
- Northwestern Branch - spoken in an isolated pocket in the rainforests
north of the kingdom of the Hria.
- Shanari Branch - the dialects of the Calarnar desert, including
Milakanuri and Jabuasi.
- Western Plains Branch - of the western coastline of Qaiyore, including
Hisar, Hansatari and Olozog.
- Savannah Branch - the various dialects of the people of Hria, including
the official language, Hri.
Eastern Mountain Languages
The languages and dialects spoken by the people known as Razanians.
The languages spoken on most islands in Midsea, and parts of the
northeastern and southern Midsea shores, including Balpuri (the day-to-day language of the sorcerors of Mir),
other Mirish dialects and the multitude of Orasareni dialects spoken on Orasaren and the
adjacent mainland, including Videssian, Cormenench, Anaduac, Damarite, Junda, Jundra and
- Morvali Branch - various dialects spoken just south of the Calarnar desert by the
- Western Midsea Branch - dialects of the western shore, such as Cedonese, Vizinian,
Tirmarin, Kaeirian, Selari (including the sub-dialects of Inibari and Gomellian), Zelkori,
Mereri, Athelari & Orasari.
- Southern Midsea Branch - languages of the southern and eastern shore, including Anamir
(spoken by the Tana), Parga, Asagmari & Aona (spoken by the Onagir).
- Shadowlands Branch - the languages of the native peoples of the Shadowlands, commonly
termed Terebuani, but more properly referred to as the Bedu dialects.
- Western Coastal Branch - various languages spoken in the western continent and islands
to the southwest, including Torphani.
- Southern Insular Branch - the languages spoken on the islands at the extreme south of
the continent, including the language of the Ka'Shari.
- Western Insular Branch - the languages spoken in the islands and adjacent mainland in
the western continental coast
- Southern Forest Branch - the languages spoken east and southeast of the Tavar mountains
- Southern Plains Branch - the languages spoken southwest of the Tavar mountains,
including the tongue of the Amo'trall.